Texas Sheet Cake

I’m not exactly sure when I started making this amazing cake but it is my go-to for a fast and easy dessert. You typically have most of the ingredients already in your pantry. It’s a crowd pleaser and it’s fast. With only a 15 minute baking time, it comes together quick!

We have our church small group (Life Group) at our home each week and this is always requested. Many years back my brothers family came for the week and we made two of these cakes 🥴 that’s a lot of cake! And we ate them both!!!

You’ll need a large sheet pan for this recipe. A nice size cookie sheet will work but it must have a good edge on it. I’ve used two different sizes for it. The small the sheet cake pan the thicker the cake will be. The larger the pan the thinner it will be. I recommend the 1/2 sheet pan that is about 9.5x13 (a good one here).

Use some grease/Crisco to grease your pan and then flour it. Set it aside.

Texas Sheet Cake

In a large mixing bowl:

  • 2 c sugar
  • 2 c flour
In a sauce pan bring to boil then add to ingredients above:

  • 2 sticks butter 
  • 4 T cocoa powder
  • 1 cup water
Add:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1tsp baking soda
  • 1tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Pour in prepared sheet pan and bake for 15 minutes at 400℉

While it’s baking in oven…

Bring to boil in a saucepan: 
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 4 T cocoa powder
  • 1 stick butter
Add:
  • 1 pound of powdered sugar 
  • 1-2 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch of salt
  • Optional: 1 C chopped nuts

Mix well. Pour over hot cake.

Tip: I never use nuts. I also never measure the powdered sugar. 




Comments

Popular Posts